The primary goal of the Solar America Initiative is to ensure that solar energy technologies will play a growing role in U.S. energy supplies and the U.S. economy by making the technology cost-competitive in the near future.
Secondary goals are to achieve market competitiveness for the following technologies:
* Photovoltaics (PV) by 2015 through government partnerships with industry, universities, national laboratories, states, and other public entities
* Concentrating solar power systems by 2020 through ongoing and new research and development (R&D) activities.
Current objectives include the following:
* Fill the industry R&D pipeline for next-generation, low-cost, scaleable products
* Establish a framework for university involvement in the Solar America Initiative
* Calibrate the National Renewable Energy Laboratory research portfolio and role for the future
* Ramp up testing and evaluation for development and qualification
* Catalyze the collaboration on industry-wide issues such as codes and standards
* Expand U.S. policy and regulatory measures.